Thursday, September 10, 2020

SAINT QUOTE OF THE DAY : Friday - September 11, 2020

Brazil's Soccer Stars Love Jesus. But They Can't Thank Him for World Cup  Wins. | Christianity Today
image.png
Friday - September 11, 2020


image.png

Do you ask how to resist anger? As soon as you feel the slightest resentment, gather together your powers, not hastily or impetuously, but gently and seriously. For as in some law courts, the criers make more noise in their efforts to preserve quiet than those they seek to still, so, if we are impetuous in our attempts to restrain our anger, we cause greater discomposure in our hearts than before; and once thrown off its balance, the heart is no longer its own master.

-- St. Francis de Sales


Inline image 1
September 11, 2020 
 

Friday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 441
Brothers and sisters:
If I preach the Gospel, this is no reason for me to boast,
for an obligation has been imposed on me,
and woe to me if I do not preach it!
If I do so willingly, I have a recompense,
but if unwillingly, then I have been entrusted with a stewardship.
What then is my recompense?
That, when I preach, I offer the Gospel free of charge
so as not to make full use of my right in the Gospel.
Although I am free in regard to all,
I have made myself a slave to all
so as to win over as many as possible.
I have become all things to all, to save at least some.
All this I do for the sake of the Gospel,
so that I too may have a share in it.
Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race,
but only one wins the prize?
Run so as to win.
Every athlete exercises discipline in every way.
They do it to win a perishable crown,
but we an imperishable one.
Thus I do not run aimlessly;
I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing.
No, I drive my body and train it,
for fear that, after having preached to others,
I myself should be disqualified.

Responsorial Psalm

R. (2) How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, mighty God!
My soul yearns and pines 
for the courts of the LORD.
My heart and my flesh
cry out for the living God.
R. How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, mighty God!
Even the sparrow finds a home,
and the swallow a nest
in which she puts her young—
Your altars, O LORD of hosts,
my king and my God!
R. How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, mighty God!
Blessed they who dwell in your house!
continually they praise you.
Blessed the men whose strength you are!
their hearts are set upon the pilgrimage.
R. How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, mighty God!
For a sun and a shield is the LORD God;
grace and glory he bestows;
The LORD withholds no good thing
from those who walk in sincerity. 
R. How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord, mighty God! 

Alleluia

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Your word, O Lord, is truth;
consecrate us in the truth.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel

Jesus told his disciples a parable:
“Can a blind person guide a blind person?
Will not both fall into a pit?
No disciple is superior to the teacher;
but when fully trained,
every disciple will be like his teacher.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own?
How can you say to your brother,
‘Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,’
when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye?
You hypocrite!  Remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly
to remove the splinter in your brother’s eye.”
***************************************************************************Inline image 2
Flexibility is necessary to spread the Good News
Quotes about Athlete (569 quotes)

In our first reading today, St. Paul shows us the importance of flexibility. He was single-minded in his commitment to spread the Good News, but he was open-minded about how to do it.

After 2000 years of rules and norms and Canon Laws, it's easy to forget where there's actually room for flexibility. Or perhaps we're afraid of change and adaptation, because we interpret "flexibility" as an open door for the ways of the world -- but that's not the kind of flexibility that Paul promoted.

Paul maintained strict obedience to God's commands and embraced his obligation to preach the Gospel, yet he remained flexible in how he preached it. His calling is our calling, too: We should all be running passionately for the eternal prize that is given to winners in the race against evil. And to defeat evil, we have to be flexible so that we can get around its obstacles.
An example of Pauline flexibility is how he preached without charging a fee. Jesus said that servants of God should be paid (see Luke 10:7; Paul acknowledged it two lines above today's scripture, in verse 14). Does this mean he was disobeying Christ? Of course not, Paul chose to obey the higher command of making himself "a slave to all".

And by becoming "all things to all, to save at least some", he met people where they were at, sharing the Good News with them in ways that they could understand.

A good example of this is young adult outreach ministry that uses the popular tools of today's culture to attract people who are on the edge of belief and who are disconnected from the institutional Church. We can draw them into the Gospel by inviting open discussion without criticizing them for where they are in their spiritual journeys.

For the sake of a person's salvation, we are called to be flexible by not expecting them to adhere to every Church rule before teaching them how to find and embrace Jesus in those rules. We help no one when we condemn them for what they're doing wrong, but we help some when we invite them to grow at a pace that doesn't drive them away.

People are only accountable for their sins when they know they are sinning and freely choose to disobey anyway. We, on the other hand, having learned the truth, are accountable for the love and knowledge that we fail to give them. As Jesus says in today's Gospel reading, we're being hypocritical, fussing over the speck of their accountability while a huge log of our own accountability is jamming up our vision and blinding us to the mercy that God is flexibly offering to all of us.

Today's Prayer
Lord, heal my wounds and fill my heart with Your mercy. Help me to take Your love to my brothers and sisters without hurting or judging them. Amen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God Bless You.....
The Rosary Family
The mother of Jesus promised St. Dominic that, “one day through the rosary & the scapular I shall save the world!”

No comments:

Post a Comment