Friday, February 16, 2018

SAINT QUOTE OF THE DAY : Saturday - February 17, 2018

Related image
Inline image 1

Saturday - February 17, 2018







Inline image 1

“Lent is a time of going very deeply into ourselves… What is it that stands between us and God? Between us and our brothers and sisters? Between us and life, the life of the Spirit? Whatever it is, let us relentlessly tear it out, without a moment’s hesitation.”
 -Catherine Doherty


Inline image 2



Inline image 1

February 17, 2018

« February 16  |  February 18 »

Saturday after Ash Wednesday
Lectionary: 222


Reading 1IS 58:9B-14

Thus says the LORD:
If you remove from your midst oppression,
false accusation and malicious speech;
If you bestow your bread on the hungry
and satisfy the afflicted;
Then light shall rise for you in the darkness,
and the gloom shall become for you like midday;
Then the LORD will guide you always
and give you plenty even on the parched land.
He will renew your strength,
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring whose water never fails.
The ancient ruins shall be rebuilt for your sake,
and the foundations from ages past you shall raise up;
"Repairer of the breach," they shall call you,
"Restorer of ruined homesteads."

If you hold back your foot on the sabbath
from following your own pursuits on my holy day;
If you call the sabbath a delight,
and the LORD's holy day honorable;
If you honor it by not following your ways,
seeking your own interests, or speaking with maliceB
Then you shall delight in the LORD,
and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth;
I will nourish you with the heritage of Jacob, your father,
for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Responsorial PsalmPS 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6

R. (11ab) Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.
Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me,
for I am afflicted and poor.
Keep my life, for I am devoted to you;
save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God.
R. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.
Have mercy on me, O Lord,
for to you I call all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
R. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in kindness to all who call upon you.
Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer
and attend to the sound of my pleading.
R. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.

Verse Before The GospelEZ 33:11

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked man, says the Lord,
but rather in his conversion, that he may live.

GospelLK 5:27-32

Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post.
He said to him, "Follow me."
And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him.
Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house,
and a large crowd of tax collectors
and others were at table with them.
The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying,
"Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?"
Jesus said to them in reply,
"Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do.
I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners."
***********************************************************Inline image 2 
Lent is springtime for the soul
Inline image 1

Did you know? The word "Lent" comes from the old Teutonic English, "lencten," which means "spring." The Church of that period (Anglo-Saxin) connected it to the Latin term quadragesima (in Spanish "cuaresma"), meaning the "fortieth day". Did you notice that "Lent" means "40 days" but there are actually 46 days between Ash Wednesday and Holy Saturday? This is because every Sunday of the year is a celebration of Easter. Even Passion Sunday.

I used to think of Lent as a harsh, difficult period that drags on and on, because it focuses on fasting and examining our consciences for sins from which we need to repent. But I now believe that Jesus wants us to have a more joyful mindset about it!

We're actually supposed to enjoy repentance, because it means growing closer to Christ. It opens us to experience more completely our life in the Holy Spirit. Sure, purification is not easy. It's a wrestling match between us and God. And God, who is far, far stronger than we are, lets us win if we really want to win. But do we really, really, truly want to win? The presence of Christ within us says no, what we really do want is the freedom to be who we truly are as baptized children of the Father: holy, beautiful gems.

Lent is supposed to be a season of faith-growth, and that's an excellent reason to be joyful about repentance. Facing our sins is the only way to overcome them. And facing our sins is a lot easier when we stop picturing God as a punisher who is wagging his parental finger at us in disgust. The devil knows our name but calls us by our sins. He is the awful accuser. God knows our sins but calls us by our name. He is the wonderful believer in our goodness (because he put that goodness into us, duh!), so let's allow this year's season of Lent be one of renewed strength. Let's be like a garden watered by a spring that never fails to renew us.

-----------------------------
God Bless You.....
Rosary Family
The mother of Jesus promised St. Dominic that, “one day through the rosary & the scapular I shall save the world!”

No comments:

Post a Comment